The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, August 08, 2004

WRITER JUICE
What makes us writers go? Writer juice, of course. Dan Trujillo is taking a month off from his playwriting to refill his tank with this precious liquid.
I intend to keep writing here, but I will devote my playwriting time to cleaning and gussying my office. The place where the magic happens should have a sense of magic to it, after all. I'm sick of coming in there to work, and thinking, "What a dump." Double the shame, because I'm lucky enough to have an office.
Everyone could use time to recharge every now and again; that's what vacations are for. But the well tends to run dry at the more inopportune instances, and sometimes you have to find unconventional ways to prime the pump. Doing some redecorating may seem like trivial busy-work, but the point is to remake your environment, leading to a rejuvination in the creative process.

It's not always easy. What can seem like the simplest procedure--banging out a few word on the keyboard, hoping it builds steam--isn't always doable. But like any other work, you manuever your way through it.

At the moment, I'm not feeling overly juiced up. But I write on, nevertheless.