The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, August 09, 2004

THE STEALTH PRESEASON
futbol
I must really have a lot on my mind lately. I completely forgot that the NFL Hall of Fame Game, between the Redskins and Broncos, is tonight. The brainfreeze is even more inexplicable given that I was fully aware of yesterday's Hall inductions, headlined by John Elway and Barry Sanders.

I guess it's something to watch. But it is preseason, so it's hard for me to get jacked up over it.

Let me take this opportunity to give some friendly advice to all those football fans out there who are going to watch tonight's game from Fawcett Field and get caught up in it: It's meaningless. All of it. Despite all the chatter from the on-air crew about how Joe Gibbs is DC's second coming of Jesus, despite the familiar four quarters of gametime, the game means absolutely nothing. It means nothing at all for how Washington's or Denver's regular season will go. It's a spectacle purely for television, and both sides are just looking to get out of it without injury to anyone important.

In fact, if it were up to me, I'd prohibit the tallying of scoring plays in NFL preseason games. What's the point? The proper way to view these glorified inter-squad scrimmages is by individual drives and player performances, so there's really no reason to give them even the semblance of an actual game. That would also eliminate the moronic notion of preseason standings.

With that mind, I'll add a special note to the gambling junkies out there, who are stupid enough to bet money on game results that are of no consequence to either team: Just PayPal me the money directly. If you're that eager to toss your dollars away, I'll gladly oblige you.