The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, August 01, 2004

SPAMBOTS, HAVE AT IT
You may have seen the "Free iPods!" offer making the rounds on the Web, notoriously through Craigslist postings and blog comment spam. As you might suspect if you have half a brain, it's a scam.

Maybe I should feel honored that this blog was graced today with a spam comment for this rip-off, as it indicates some level of active traffic. Forgive me if I instead feel slightly annoyed.

So, as I do on those rare occasions where I get junk comments, I deleted it. I also banned the IP address of the schmuck, named Bill, who posted it. But just so he doesn't feel like his 10-second effort at posting junk went completely to waste, I'll post his email address below:

bswerskie@sbcglobal.net

It may be a spoofed address that leads to nowhere. Bill may be a sucker who's been taken in by the scam, and not intentionally being malicious. But you know what? I don't care. If he gets nailed with enough spam as a result of this that he thinks twice or thrice before doing something this stupid again, it will have been worth it.