The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, August 15, 2004

AMATEUR NIGHT: THE LAST LAUGH
Everybody's got to start somewhere. It might as well be the Tampa Improv's Open Mic night. There's a handful of aspiring jokesters trudging out to Ybor, looking for live experience. The basic lesson: It helps to have a full house.

I've kicked around the idea of taking the plunge into one of these amateur nights. The next one is on August 25th, just over a week from today. I feel I've got enough to do the solid 3-4 minutes they give you. I'm not sure I could scrounge up 10 people to come with me, and frankly, I'm not sure I'd want to have them there--could make me nervous.

But the full, lively crowd would be a big help for me. I have no problem standing up and speaking before a large group, but if it's just a small scattering, it becomes more one-on-one, and dicier.

I figure I can always fall back on a standup career, just in case my "Situation: Comedy" winning script doesn't pan out.