The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, July 18, 2004

A WICKED PERSPECTIVE
I recently finished reading "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire. I picked it up due to all the hubbub over the musical it inspired (although beyond the general plot, I think the two have only the barest resemblance to one another).

It was hard to get through in certain spots, and while the notion of presenting the Wicked Witch as the victim of marginalization and smear tactics is compelling, I don't think Maguire did a complete job in bringing it all together. In particular, I don't think the Witch's fixation on the ruby slippers was presented convincingly enough.

In any case, publisher HarperCollins has a PDF of the first couple of chapters online, for your perusal. It includes the birth of Elphaba (the Witch), as well as a neat-o map of the Land of Oz.