The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, July 23, 2004

UNTUCKED AND LOVING IT
The men's untucked look: It's not just for guayaberas and t-shirts anymore.

I'm in favor of any fashion trend that loosens things up. In fact, I've been living this look for years. My regular officewear tends to be polo shirts, which I refuse to tuck in. Whenever possible, I go with my shirt tails flapping.

That said, even I think exposing dress shirts this way is a bit much; not sure I'd be comfortable with it. But if everyone else is doing it, I'll have to be a good little sheep and follow along.

The article hints at a practical, cosmetic reason for this look: The increasing paunchiness of men as they get into their 30s and 40s, and how tucked-in shirts accentuate this unfortunate detail. I think there's a corresponding anatomical consideration: It covers up men's rear ends too, thus hiding many a male's flat butt. (This is actually the downside for me: I have a great ass--ask the ladies--but the untucked look tends to detract. It's a sacrifice for comfort's sake.)