The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, July 12, 2004

SPRINGTIME VEAL--IN SUMMER
Regardless of actual quality, I think any onsite workplace cafeteria gets razzed by employees. There's only so many times you can visit the foodline before you get tired of it.

A particular menu item for today at my office's cafeteria, though, just invites derision:
Soup du jour: Springtime Veal
First off: I'm not much of a soup fan, but even I have to question a veal-based soup. I'm not sure I've ever heard of such a thing before. Given the expected quality of veal, it's almost a waste to make soup from it.

Secondly: Springtime veal. In July, the heart of summer. What does this suggest? The optimist would say it's just a time-neutral descriptor, like pasta primavera. The pessimist would wonder just how long that "springtime veal" has been sitting on the shelf.

In summation, I'm passing on the soup today.