The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

RECYCLING STILL A HASSLE
I guess Americans are just too busy with the hurley-burley of everyday life to separate their paper, plastic and glass. Recycling levels in the U.S. have steadily declined since the turn of the century.

The only thing I recycle is paper, chiefly newsprint (daily newspapers) and magazine stock. I would do plastic and glass, but living in an apartment, there simply isn't adequate space. My trash valet service used to provide separation recycling, but stopped a long time ago. I do what I can, and it's not a big burden.

I'm not a particularly strident environmentalist, obviously. But the little acts of neglect drive me crazy. Like, when there are paper recycle bins positioned right next to regular trashcans, yet people dump all their trash, paper or not, into just the trashcan. It's either laziness or contempt, I'm never quite sure which (although I usually suspect the senior citizens of being guilty of the latter, citing the good ol' days).