The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, July 12, 2004

POPUP BLOCKING TEST
Audit My PC.com has added a nine-point test that measures how effective a browser's popup-stopping ability is. Very useful.

I tested my installation of Google's Toolbar on IE 6 running on Win2k. Like Poynter's Larry Larsen, I got a "Very Good" score of 85; Google's popup-stopper failed to block only two types of popups. I also tried it on my copy of Mozilla Firebird, which has it's own built-in popup-blocking, but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm going to test this out on Hotbot Desktop and Yahoo! Toolbar, which I have installed on other computers. I'm curious to see how they fare. (At some point, I may do an all-around comparison review of all three browser add-ons.)

I've noticed for a while now that, as good a job as popup-blockers do, some new-fangled popups are breaking through. The Blogster.net link on this blog, for instance, has a time-delayed popup that beats Google's Toolbar every time. Various other sites also manage to punch their poppers through.

Will we ever be free of the popup scourge? We keep hearing that they're so reviled that sites are abandoning them, but I certainly haven't seen a significant decrease.