The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, July 15, 2004

A PARROT AT PUBLIX
pollywanna
I just went to the supermarket to pick up some dinner. While in the checkout line, I saw a big fat old man near the lottery window. He had a parrot on his left shoulder.

The parrot stayed perched on the shoulder while the man walked this way and that. At one point, the man ducked into the restroom, parrot and all. When he came out a couple of minutes later--it was a Number One, no doubt--the parrot was still on that shoulder, bobbing a little but otherwise showing no sign of leaving that spot.

I suppose the old man could have been a retired pirate; he had a longish beard, a pirate hallmark. He'd have been a pretty fat pirate, though.

The parrot didn't look much like the picture above, which is of the Nandy Conure parrots that live in my office building. But it's the only photo I have that's appropriate. I could have asked the old man and his parrot to pose for me while I took a picture with my cameraphone, but I thought better of it.