The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, July 18, 2004

THE MANCHURIAN AGGRAVATE
When news of The Manchurian Candidate remake hit last year, I was cautiously optimistic. Remakes are automatically burdened with comparisons to the originals, so they really have to be topnotch to avoid the question, "Why did they bother?"

The remake is here, soon to be released, and the marketing is in full swing.

It's in such full swing, in fact, that I'm getting sick of being bombarded with the TV ads for it. I've literally sat through programs where the trailer will come up twice within a minute of each other. It's now at the point where I'm probably not going to see it in the theaters, simply out of spite.

What's more, I've just watched the original by John Frankenheimer again. I doubt it can get much better.