The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, July 09, 2004

THE LEGEND OF TONER LOW
The office laser printer nearest my desk displays the message "TONER LOW" when it needs to be fed a replacement cartridge. Actually, that's not precisely true: It starts displaying that message well before it truly runs out of ink, more as an advance warning. So we tend to see "TONER LOW" lit up for days before we have to actually do anything about it.

I've often thought that "Toner Low" sounded a lot like a person's name. For some reason, it brings to mind an old-time baseball player, a guy who would've played 3rd base for the Cardinals back in the '40s or something.

Alas, as far as I can ascertain, there never was a player, in St. Louis or anywhere else, by the name of Toner Low. But I wish there was.