The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, July 01, 2004

HOWARD STERN IN TAMPA BAY
After losing the former Clear Channel-provided, barely-heard Orlando broadcast of Howard Stern (not to mention the removal of the locally-grown Bubba The Love Sponge), Tampa Bay fans of radio raunch have some exciting news: The Howard Stern show hits radio waves on WQYK-AM 1010 on July 19th.

An AM station? Kind of chintzy. Then again, most of talk radio is on the AM dial, so maybe it won't be a big deal. Plus, as Stern's show has become more overtly political (although that should end after the November elections), it seems like a good place to put the broadcast, in the same neighborhood as Rush Limbaugh et al. And Stern is Stern--he's a draw regardless of which side of the modulation dial he's on.

Will this get me to actually turn on the radio in the morning? Well, no. Radio inherently holds little appeal to me. I can take Howard Stern in limited doses; some days he's tremendously funny, others he's just grating. The E! show is more than satisfying enough for me; I'll stick to that.