The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

FINDING MIRACLES AT FLEA MARKETS
kimota!
Some lucky bum struck gold when he found a trove of lost Beatles artifacts in an old suitcase, thus reigniting hope among flea-market and yard-sale scavengers everywhere.

I have a couple of friends who like to get up early on Saturday mornings to hit flea markets. I love to deride them for it. I don't think they're consciously treasure-hunting, but it surely crosses their minds. You never know when you'll run across a neglected bauble of extreme value, available for mere pennies. But the odds are long enough that I'd just as soon opt for the sack time and saved mileage.

Still, even I can get sucked into this delusion. Today, I went with one of these friends to one of the many junk antique stores located downtown. I had discovered that the store had a few boxes of old ('70s to early '90s) comic books, and I guess we figured that it was worth a half-hour to rifle through them on the chance of finding some rare edition. The closest we got was the above-pictured Miracleman No. 1, which I scooped up for a buck. I doubt it's worth much more than $10, especially considering the condition it's in. There are some copies of this particular issue, known as the "Gold Edition", that are signed by Alan Moore and apparently sell for close to $1,000; sadly, my rescued copy isn't one of these.

Incidentally, you can read some of the excellent Miracleman saga right here. (Normally I wouldn't condone such blatant unauthorized use, but given the legal limbo that the character and material is currently in, I'll look the other way--for now.)