The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, July 26, 2004

DONKEY TIME IN BOSTON
The 2004 Democratic National Convention kicks off tonight.

Gee, I wonder who they'll nominate?

Despite the decreased coverage from the major networks, there'll be ample TV time for political junkies. I'm sure CNN, Fox News and other news channels will have their cameras beaming from Beantown, and one of my local PBS stations apparently will be providing gavel-to-gavel coverage.

It's nice to know it'll be available, as I assume it will be for the RNC in New York next month. But I'm not going to be watching; the day-after analysis will be more than enough. If you don't know what the score is by now, these made-for-TV pep rallies aren't going to enlighten you a whole lot.

The new media wrinkle at this year's conventions, of course, will be the blogger angle. I maintain that the blogs aren't going to report anything of substance; but for those interested, Blogdigger has compiled a handy listing of all the bloggers at the DNC in Boston.

UPDATE: Poynter's Steve Outing adds a list of journalist/newspaper blogs at the convention. Of course, to some, the idea of established media professionals and organizations running weblogs is counter to the very spirit of unadulterated blogging. It goes back to whether you consider a blog to be a format or a genre.