The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, July 22, 2004

BOOKIN' IT
There was a benefit book sale at work today, consisting of the thousands of review copy books received every quarter. The money goes to the corporate scholarship fund, so it's all good.

I have to be in the proper mood to scour through the endless stacks of books, CDs and videos. I was sort of there today; I wasn't looking for anything in particular, so I was browsing for anything that looked interesting.

Anyway, I came away with a small haul of three books:

- "Gossip Girl: A Novel", Cecily von Ziegesar: From the jacket, I got the impression it was "Sex and the City"-meets-Bret Easton Ellis, which appeals to me. I guess it's more young-adult-oriented than I thought, in which case I'm wondering if I should have even admitted to buying it! But I'll give it a try.

- "Vicious Spring", Holis Hampton-Jones: Somewhat similar themes to the above, but a bit seamier. Junkies make for good reading. The Jay McInerney blurb on the front cover definitely helped lure me.

- "Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game", Michael Lewis: The much-beloved book of baseball "purists". I've heard all kinds of effusive praise for it, so I decided to pick up this deeply-discounted copy. Baseball's not my favorite subject, not even the business side, so I'm not sure I'll give this much more than a surface read, and may even give it away when I've finished it.

I have a feeling I'll get through these three fairly quickly. I still have a pile of other books I need to get through, so these will be nice temporary diversions.