The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, July 08, 2004

BLOGSPOT FOR SPAMMERS
According to Whump.com, spammers are making use of free BlogSpot.com URLs to artificially boost page rankings.

It makes sense; I know various blogs/websites have taken advantage of the facility of getting BlogSpot space to goose search engine listings. I'm surprised it's taken spammers this long to mobilize on it.

Does this bode ill for BlogSpot blogs? I frequently get the feeling that blogs hosted through this service are looked at askance anyway. If BlogSpot become headquarters for spammer efforts, it can only make that perception worse. If there's a widespread adoption of comment/trackback-spam blacklists that automatically ban BlogSpot URLs, it could result in a ghetto-ized existence for thousands of blogs. You'd think Blogger/BlogSpot owner Google would do something to forestall this, but I'm not holding my breath.

I guess all this indicates that the time is nigh to exit BlogSpot.

Stay tuned.