The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, June 07, 2004

STANLEY CUP CHAMPION TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING!
it got a tan
Spring, 1993. Senior year in college. I'm sitting in my dorm lounge with some of my roommates, shooting the breeze. Subject turns to sports. I say something about how, someday, the brand-spanking-new NHL franchise in town could win a Stanley Cup.

My roommate Kevin scoffs loudly. "Bull-shit! The Lightning is never going to win a Stanley Cup, and the Bucs are never going to win a Super Bowl!"

At that time, it was easy enough to agree with Kevin. The Lightning was as sorry as a first-year expansion team is expected to be, and the Bucs were in the middle of their creamsicle-colored nightmare run of yearly double-digit loss seasons. Not only that, but Tampa Bay had even managed to lose in baseball without even having a team, as the area was passed over for what seemed like a sure-thing expansion franchise in favor of Miami and Denver. Surely, the area seemed destined to be host to nothing but losing teams.

Well, since then, the Bucs won their Super Bowl--and even now, a year and a half after the fact, that seems almost too fantastic to believe.

And now, the Bolts win their championship, winning Game 7 over the Flames 2-1 for their, and Florida's, first Stanley Cup.

So, Kevin, if you're reading this: Consider yourself wholly debunked. And I miss you, buddy.