The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

PRAVDA TRANSLITERATIONS
Growing up during the final salvos of the Cold War, I never dreamed that I'd ever read news from Pravda in my lifetime (unless the USSR ended up winning).

But I can, in fact, now read news from the former Soviet propaganda rag, and what's more, I'm reading headlines like this:
Battered body discovered in Saturn's moon Phoebe
My first reaction: They're reporting some National Enquirer-type story about finding a corpse in deep space (probably dumped there by the Russian mafia). Reading the story, you quickly realize that the headline is the result of fractured English translation; the "battered body" refers to the the surface of Phoebe, pockmarked with countless meteor impacts.

Still, I'm wondering how much of that headline was accidental, and how much was intentional, as a lure to draw in readers. It worked on me. I'll have to keep an eye on Pravda. And keep reminding myself of who won.