The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, June 26, 2004

NO-BLOG NEWS DIET: WRAPPING UP THE WEEK
My blog-free week is almost at an end. Steve Rubel of Micro Persuasion will be quizzing me either tomorrow or Monday on what I was able to absorb from the non-weblog world (both offline and online).

Some scattered thoughts on the experience:

- It's kind of hard to avoid blogs if you spend a decent amount of time surfing the Web. Even search results through Hotbot and Google will net you a heaping helping of blog hits. So casual searching has been constrained by concern over accidentally stumbling up a blog.

- While I've been curious about checking out some of my usual blog check-ins--particularly Breakfast of Losers and Off Wing Opinion, but others too--I haven't found it all that difficult to abstain from them.

- I've probably logged more time than usual at CNN and CBS News, and other news sites, as compensation for not visiting blogs. Does this point to my regularly using blogs as an alternate news source? Not really. It's more a question of simply having some sort of content to peruse, and the news sites are a sure-fire source for fresh content. Further underlining the point: Many of the blogs I regularly read are only remotely (if that) related to news commentary, being more of the personal journal bent; so it really is a case of just looking for something, news or otherwise, to read.

- I feel I've kept abreast of the week's notable stories. I'm curious as to what sort of blog/tech-centric stories I may have missed; I think this will be the meat of this experiment's results.

- Regarding the no-click-thru rule: As I suspected, I haven't found it to be an issue at all. Consider the contrast with Steve Rubel's all-blog experiment.

- I think the buzz on this has been limited. Thanks go to Steve Outing, who gave it a couple of mentions on Poynter's E-Media Tidbits blog, and to Steve Rubel and a couple of other bloggers out there who've referenced it. I think I'll send a news release out after the quiz.