The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, June 13, 2004

NO-BLOG NEWS DIET: COUNTDOWN TO NEXT WEEK
On Friday, I floated the idea of a "no-blog news diet" as a complement to Steve Rubel at Micro Persuasion's recent all-blog news diet. The idea came to me all of a sudden, and I wondered if it really had legs.

I guess it does, enough so that Steve Outing at Poynter and Rubel himself have made mention of it in their online space, thus helping to spread the word. So I think it's a go!

However, since I let loose the idea late afternoon on a Friday, I think I should hold off on starting the experiment until the beginning of next week. That'll give it time to make the rounds through the Web world, making more people aware and, ideally, bring in more feedback.

In the meantime, I've emailed Rubel with some ideas on the rules and anything else that might occur to me. As part of the countdown to the start of the no-blog news diet on Sunday, June 20th, I'll be posting at least one entry a day here, with further elaboration and development. Tell your friends!

There is one thing I'd like to address from the original post, that I'm afraid came across with an unintended meaning:
Truthfully, I've found myself getting a little bored with reading other people's blogs lately, and casually was wondering how I'd make out with not reading them at all for an extended period...
I've had feedback from a couple of people (on my blogroll and off) who've perceived this as a slam against what I consider "boring" blogs. For the record, I don't say that the blogs I read are boring, but rather, that I was bored with reading them. It's a subtle distinction, to be sure; but the point I was trying to get across was that the problem was from my end, not necessarily the blogs'.

My opinion isn't a reflection on the quality of any blog. But, regardless of how good the writing and general content might be, after a while you tend to see something of a sameness to it--especially when you read most of them daily, like I do. Again, the issue is with me, and I'm not pointing fingers. As I count down to my blog-reading fast, I'll be filling up on one last read-through of my usual blog spots, and, as noted, put these feelings to the test.