The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, June 14, 2004

NO-BLOG NEWS DIET COUNTDOWN: T-MINUS-6
Just whittling down the days of this week before I start my no-blog news diet this coming Sunday. Latest ponderings on it:

It's starting to occur to me that the no-click-through rule that was such a big part of Steve Rubel's experiment might be irrelevant in my exercise. Generally, most major media outlet news stories are fairly light on hyperlinks, especially the citation-type links that are so identifiable with blogs. Moreover, even when such articles include hyperlinks, it's rare that they ever link to blogs; they'll usually connect to the main websites of organizations and such. There may be a couple of areas, notably in tech reporting, where you will find more extensive referencing of blogs. Generally, this might be a building trend, but for the present, it's probably not that widespread.

So, I can certainly adhere to the no-click-through rule as Rubel did, only reversed--where he didn't click on any media links, I won't click on any blog links. But again, I doubt it will even come up.

More rumination tomorrow.