The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, June 03, 2004

MY 10 MINUTES AS A PHOTO GRIP
Toward the end of the day today, my magazine's art director came to my desk to enlist me to help on the cover photo shoot for next month.

No, nothing as glamourous as being the coverboy. This is a business magazine, so we're not talking about Cosmo girls; the model was also recruited from within the ranks of the magazine, and only a portion of his body--his arm--was needed for the shot. My job was grunt work--holding a light reflector, close to floor level, while the photographer snapped away.

Photo work in a studio never seems to be such a big deal, unless you actually do it; and then, it's like the most excrutiating task. Only a few minutes into it, my arms and legs were aching from having to crouch and stay perfectly still, making sure I had the reflector positioned just right so the proper areas were illuminated. The other light handlers were being taxed just as much, and the model was dying in the glare of those hot lights. All the while, the photographer is snapping pictures, then asking for a pose that's a centimeter's different from the previous one, and so on and so on. Even in the short amount of time I was there, I started thinking, "Enough already, how many shots of the same thing can you take?!"

It was over in 10 minutes. As I limped back to my desk, I thought about how much money people make in fashion modeling, and how much more time they spent doing what I just went through. And I decided that they're earning every single penny of it.