The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I, THE JUROR
Just my luck. My call-up for jury duty today resulted in my being placed on a jury.

Honestly, up until midway through the day, I had every expectation of being passed over. But as the selection process dragged on, I just got the strong feeling that I was going to get tagged. All I'll say is that I need to invest in a sickly relative that needs regular care, because that excuse seemed to automatically lead to a ticket out of the courthouse.

I hate to sound so anti-civic, but the fact is that the timing is not very good for me. As I mentioned, this is deadline time, plus a time of the year where I start some heavy-duty project work at the magazine. Plus I had a couple of other tasks to tend to before the end of June. Jury duty just piles on the plate.

Looking past that, the trial appears compelling enough; it's certainly not a mundane traffic violation. Unfortunately, I can't write anything specific about it. I'll be able to do so after the trial wraps, which, according to the judge, shouldn't be any later than Friday morning. Until then, I'll have to keep my big mouth shut--really not that difficult for me.

Predictably, the jury's been informed to avoid certain parts of the local media, as this case might be mentioned. The local newscasts are off-limits, which is irrelevant to me as I never watch those wastes of broadcast time anyway. The newspapers will be harder to avoid, but bearable.

The next few days will be hectic, as I'll be juggling quite a few things. It could be draining. As an immediate result, I won't be posting anything about the outcome of my no-blog news diet quiz until very late tonight, probably close to midnight.