The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

EMAIL AS AN "INTERNET ANCHOR"
I've noted before how it was a no-brainer for Google to build a registration base around a free email service. Now, here's more data to back that up: ComScore notes that email is a primary reason for people to go online and visit email-interface sites multiple times a day.

I used to find it odd that surveys would ask for the amount of time spent on checking email. In my mind, surfing the Web and checking email were two distinct things: One was communication, the other research/entertainment. I think this distinction becomes blurred when you consider Web-based email services like Gmail and Yahoo! Mail. Obviously, login pages provide ample opportunity for ad placement, and when you consider multiple visits a day, cha-ching.