The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

A DOLLAR A GIG
With the breakdown of my Xbox, I've been browsing eBay for options--a good deal on a new/refurbished console, a much-fabled Xbox reboot disc, whatever. Basically, I'm trying to exhaust all options before sending the thing off to Microsoft and pay their $100 repair fee.

In the course such browsing, I came across an Xbox 10-gig hard drive, available for a "buy-it-now" price of $10. I don't know that the problem with my unit lies in the hard drive, although I suspect it has something to do with it. But I decided that 10 bucks was inconsequential enough to spend on an insurance drive, so I went ahead and bought it. It arrived in the mail today, and looks good.

I wondered about how good a deal I was getting. Ten bucks seems pretty cheap for any sort of computer hardware, especially a hard drive. But was it?

Well, according to Dan Gillmor, the dollar-per-gigabyte barrier was broken about a year and a half ago. Based on that, I should have paid less for a 10-gig drive. It's not like the Xbox uses a specialized hard drive--it's the same sort of drive you'll find in any standard PC.

Still, it seems like a pretty paltry price to pay for a hard drive. I wasn't aware ahead of time that hard drive prices had gone that low, so I don't feel like I've been ripped off. All things considered, it was a fair deal for me.

The next step is actually cracking open the console and swapping out hard drives. I'll do that as soon as I'm feeling ambitious.