The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, June 28, 2004

ACK, JURY DUTY
It's been some six or seven years, but I've finally been called up tomorrow morning for my second-ever stint of jury duty.

I'm all for doing my civic duty, but still, I'm not looking forward to it. It's a missed day of work, at just about the most inopportune time (the turn of the calendar is typically deadline time at a monthly, and that's when I'm busiest). Plus, I have a strong feeling I'll just be waiting around all day, waiting to be interviewed, only to be told in the late afternoon that I won't be needed and can go. And that's the best-case scenario; what if I actually get picked as a juror?? At that point, I'm hoping for a short trial.

I'm thinking of packing up my notebook computer and lugging it along. If I'm lucky, I can plug it into a wall socket, catch a wireless signal, and surf (and blog) away at least part of the time. (I can always use my mobile phone to check email, but it's not really suited for everyday Web browsing.)