The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

VENUS FLYTRAP DECLINING DEAD
flytrip
A little over a month ago, I bought a Venus flytrap. It took me about that long to kill it.

As I speak, I'm gazing at a pot full of semi-moist soil, with a mass of blackened stalks in the center. If it's not totally expired, it's pretty close.

What happened? Beats me. I might have put it in the wrong type of soil, I might have over-watered it (my usual method of killing off plants). Whatever I did, I did it wrong, because the trap never had a chance.

I can't say I'm too broken up about it. As is typical for me, I lost interest in my botanical experiment almost as quickly as I got fired up about it. It's the basic problem I have with all types of plants: They don't do anything, so they can't sustain my interest for very long. Even this one, with the potential for chomp-em-up action, managed to bore me. Once it started to wither, my apathy set in, and I let things slide.

There was a fitting irony to my failed plant stewardship. Yesterday, I saw a fly buzz across my living room. Serves me right, I suppose.