The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, May 27, 2004

REALITY CHECK: THE FANTASIA FACTOR
So Fantasia Barrino is the new American Idol. Wasn't it exciting?

Yeah, right. Like I'd actually watch something as crappy as "American Idol". I think staring at the wall for two hours would have it beat by a country mile.

But a thought occurs to me: How much do you want to bet that legions of "Idol" worshippers will be naming their newborn baby daughters "Fantasia" now? It doesn't register on the Federal baby name database right now, but it's worth checking a year from now for an expected uptick.

Actually, despite the Disney connection, "Fantasia" sounds like the name of an exotic dancer. So I guess all those little girls who get the name now will grow up into featured acts at the Mons Venus. Actually, just go ahead and give them the middle name "Serenity", that'll cement it for sure.