The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, May 17, 2004

NO BLOGATHON IN 2004
wake up!
The above banner is a memento from my participation in last year's Blogathon. It's going to have to last another year, as the Blogathon folks will be taking 2004 off to fine-tune things.

The next 24-hour blogging-for-benefit session is scheduled for July 30th, 2005. Whether or not it actually comes off... Call me a pessimist, but I'm predicting Blogathon is permanently in the past tense now. I don't question that Cat and the others have the best of intentions for coming back in two years, but things like this--especially in the online world--tend to lose their momentum during a hiatus, regardless of the purpose of that hiatus. Over time, the people behind Blogathon are going to have other priorities, move on, and this pet project will become an afterthought--if that. Plus, from the participants' end, two years is an eternity; out of sight, out of mind. Attempting to drum up renewed interest will be essentially like starting from scratch, which will only further frustrate those involved.

For me, it's just as well that the 2004 edition has been scratched. I've wondered a couple of times, since the start of this year, if I'd want to do it again. I can't say for sure until the deadline for decision would be imminent, but my early reaction would have been a "no". Reasons are various, stemming from last year's experience: The lack of pledges I got, troubles archiving it on a BlogSpot site, whether I want to commit to a whole Saturday and Sunday (counting sleep time) again... Having enough to write about is not, as you might suspect, a concern; as I noted at last year's finish, I had enough to go well beyond the one-post-per-half-hour pace then, and am confident I could do so again.

I guess ultimately, on top of the reasons above, I have a general sense of "been there, done that". I wouldn't have taken part in Blogathon 2003 if I didn't expect to get something out of it for myself. I experienced the marathon scribbling session, found I could do it and do it pretty well, and don't feel I'll get anything more out of a repeat performance. I certainly didn't raise much cash for the sponsor, and even if my readership has expanded since then to make more pledges possible, I'm afraid that's not enough motivation for me. All of which, of course, is moot now.

In any case, some people are going to have a Blogathon-type event to compensate. For this blog, the archives from last year will have to suffice.