The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

HELLO, BLOGGERBOT
Speaking of free online storage... Blogger's struck a deal with Hello to offer users cost-free and user-friendly photo/image hosting, via a utility called BloggerBot. Just the right companion for your blog!

Of course, Hello offers free image file hosting to anyone, Blogger-member or not. But tying BloggerBot into it definitely makes the process more seamless and less intimidating to non-technical bloggers.

This sort of hits home for me, because I've improbably hit my storage limit for images that I use here. A look through this blog's archives will show that I use images extensively. It's kind of a pain, and probably the single thing I despise most about online publishing: That images can't be integrated into the HTML structure of a website/webpage, but rather must be hosted and linked. It's a big problem, in my view.

That said, I don't think I'll be sampling the BloggerBot. It's too much like a spyware enticement; I'd rather have the option to upload the images to Hello's space on my own terms. I don't need some clunky app junking up my system, thanks.