The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, May 19, 2004

GMAIL'S PHANTOM TERABYTE
tmail?
Google gave some geeks wet panties when a glitch in its Gmail service showed a drastic increase in user storage space, from the regular 1 gigabyte to 1 terabyte (or 1,000 gigabytes).

Despite the conspiracy theories rampaging around the techie blogs, it's pretty clear this was nothing more than a software bug. I'm betting there wasn't even a terabyte allocated to any single user; the display just erroneously showed that much storage available, not that it truly was there. Given the circumstances, there's no way anyone could have actually tested to see if that much was really there. Again, it was an unintentional glitch, nothing more or less.

I don't know if my Gmail account got the boost. I didn't check it more than a couple of times during the day today, and didn't make note of the storage listed. I'm not sure what I would have thought had I seen it.

I guess anyone looking for a terabyte of storage will just have to pony up a grand or so for LaCie's Bigger Disk.