The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, May 07, 2004

FIREBIRDFOX, BUT NOT THUNDERFOX?
A little while back, Mozilla found a need to change the name of its open-source browser from Firebird to Firefox. I've still got a version of the old Firebird-branded browser installed; I'll see how long I can keep it, for nostalgia's sake. Too bad there's no market for old version numbers of warez...

In any case, the name change is all well and good. What I don't understand, though, is why Mozilla didn't also change the name of the companion email client, Thunderbird.

Are they not concerned about preserving the product's branding theme? Firebird-Thunderbird goes well together; Firefox-Thunderbird does not. Why not follow through and rechristen the email component Thunderfox?

Personally, it doesn't matter to me, as I don't use the email client, only the browser. But it seems odd.