The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Monday, May 03, 2004

"DREW CAREY SHOW": A CLUMSY CODA
In stark contrast to the grand finale "Friends" is getting this Thursday, the once-mighty "Drew Carey Show" will be stumbling toward its final resting place this summer after not appearing at all during this past regular season, the result of a bizarre fulfillment of ABC's broadcast deal to keep airing it well after abysmal ratings became the norm.

Basically, most people probably figure the show was cancelled sometime last season, and so won't know what to make of this last summer run. What happens if it, improbably, becomes a huge hit? It would be awkward for the network to try to squeeze another season out of Carey, who's moving on to other projects like "Green Screen".

I can't say I was a fan of the show. I watched it maybe twice; didn't seem particularly fresh to me. Carey just did his standup routine in place of acting; I found the fat lady to be more gratingly annoying and one-note than funny; and the rest of the cast was bland. I think Carey himself is okay; I like him in talk show interviews, and even his standup. But there's something about him that's slightly too weird for me. Let me emphasize that: He's too weird, for me. That's saying something there.