The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

CRACKPOT WEB FUN
During the workday, I find the need to compulsively check HaloScan every 30 15 minutes, because I just have to know if/when someone has left feedback on this here blog. Rather than go through the trouble of creating a bookmark, I simply rely on IE's auto-complete function to fill in the blanks when I quickly type in "h-a-l-o-s" and hit Enter. Because I visit the site so often, it's retained in the browser's history, and so there's no need to retype the entire URL.

Sometimes, though, I'm a bit too quick with that Enter key. Like yesterday. I typed in the familiar sequence as shown above, and hit Enter before the auto-complete had a chance to fill in the "c-a-n-.-c-o-m".

So what happened? Rather than just give me an error and allow me to retype, IE decided that I wanted to visit this cuckoo site, which boasts of "Unrefuted Evidence for Earth's Instant Creation!" (unrefuted because most people don't bother refuting laughable gobbledygook).

The initial visit was bad enough. But today, I found that, out of habit, I continued to type my usual shorthand for HaloScan, and because halos.com was stuck in history, it would come up as the first option, and invariably I'd hit Enter to bring it up. The final kicker was that, by calling it up even once, I've guaranteed that it'll stay in the history for at least another day, thus creating a self-perpetuating retention. Argh.

Guess I'll just have to be more careful for the next couple of days. Maybe I can even train myself into typing "h-a-l-o-s-c" in rapid shorthand, thus breaking the cycle. Hopefully, there's no lunatic URL lurking at halosc.com.

So anyway, that's one way to take in some of the Web's kooky fringe. Blunted found another way, courtesy of my blog's GoogleAds.