The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, May 01, 2004

BAN THOSE CAR ALARMS
Sick of hearing those super-annoying car alarms blaring for minutes on end while their owners take forever to turn them off? Transportation Alternatives is looking to ban car alarms in New York City, and has put together an in-depth study to make their case. They also cite news reports from several other North American cities, which indicates the idea is gaining wide appeal.

Rampant car alarm noise isn't generally a huge problem in the Tampa Bay area, at least not where I live and work. Of course, each incident, no matter how infrequent, is bothersome enough. And it seems that the alarms never really serve their intended purpose of warding off theives; they just get triggered by random stuff. Thousands of high-end cars still get stolen every year; I've gotta believe that expert car thieves know how to get around these noisy pests. If you really want security, just get The Club; it's ugly and a hassle to handle, but probably way more effective.

I've been lucky in not having many close-by neighbors with these things. I do vividly recall, though, that on the first day after moving in, laying down on my couch to relax with some quiet time, when on cue, some nearby car alarm started a loud chirp and continued for a good 15 minutes. I thought, "This figures".

(Via MemeMachineGo!)