The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

ALUMSTER
The success of Friendster has colleges and universities applying the affinity networking model toward their alumni relations, in the hopes of improving interaction and (naturally) donations among graduates.

It's a natural. Gathering around the old alma mater is a fairly surefire way of encouraging active participation. It's got to be an improvement over the usual ham-fisted approaches schools use. I know my school's alumni office is especially inept at communicating; the only time I ever hear from them, really, is when they want money. There's hardly even a pretense of any other sort of connection.

I'm not particularly keen on these online social (non-work-related) networking experiments; aside from Friendster, Google's Orkut is the only other one that I know of that's built some critical mass. But I daresay that a network built around my school would be of enough interest to me to make me want to join. College is an important enough common thread for me, moreso even than professional affiliations.