The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

ALLEGRO NON TROPPO
It's arrived! I bought a copy of Allegro Non Troppo on eBay last week, and found it in my mailbox today. I'm stoked.

I've been trying to lay my hands on a DVD of this flick for ages. Even this edition, released only last year and loaded up with a bunch of extras and digital/stereo remastering, is not exactly what I wanted. I really wanted to get the version with the English dubbing, instead of subtitles. I don't have a problem with subtitles, but this is probably the only movie I can remember seeing where I thought the dub treatment actually made the film better than the original. I used to own an old VHS copy of this version in college, but that was lost long ago. Unfortunately, the dubbed cut appears to be nearly impossible to find now, in either DVD or VHS (despite most of the sellers' descriptions on eBay claiming the opposite), and so I decided to finally bite the bullet. Besides, I had a little play money to blow, and this was perfect for that.

If you're a fan of classical music and offbeat animation, you'll love Allegro. The Bolero sequence is especially enchanting. It's not likely you'll run across it on the shelves at Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, but if you find it, definitely rent it.

I'm anxious to fire it up; I haven't watched it in probably ten years. My dilemma: Two playoff hockey games on tonight, which I can't stop watching. I'm crossing my fingers that neither go to OT, and that I can stand a little late-night movie viewing later tonight.