The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Sunday, May 23, 2004

THE $2 CELL PHONE
I just got a shiny new LG VX6000 camera phone. Which means that I also have an old, now retired phone: the Samsung SCH-n150 that I've been lugging around for the past two years.

It's a pretty basic phone, especially by today's standards: Monochrome screen instead of color, chirpy ringtones instead of polyphonic, no ability to download new applications to it, etc. On the other hand, it's WAP-Internet enabled, like any modern phone, and has voice-dialing capability (that I never bothered to activate). Aside from some annoying design flaws--like the inability to turn off the sound on the built-in games--it's a servicable handset.

While out earlier today, I spied a little hand-drawn flyer that said, "I BUY USED CELLPHONES", with a number to call. I figured I could see what they'd offer, and if it meant a quick 20 bucks, I'd part with the old Samsung.

I called the guy, told him the model number. He said it was a pretty old phone; I agreed. He said he'd give me two dollars for it. Then he started launching into a spiel; I cut him off right away, told him I'd keep it for two dollars, and hung up.

Two dollars? I understand the concept of resell value, but come on. Why on earth would I waste the time it would take to go meet with this guy for two measly bucks? I'd probably blow more in the value of gasoline than I'd get back. At that price, you better believe I'm going to hold onto the phone.

I do have a use for the old thing: I've been using it as an alarm clock. It's about perfect, because with the frequency of power outages here during the summer (from all those thunderstorms), having a clock with its own battery pack is a great idea. And I get to wake up to the tinny strains of Strauss' "Radetzky March" every morning.