The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

WHERE THE WIRES AREN'T
Wireless is the wave o' the future. At least Intel hopes so, as it's banking on its Centrino chip and other mobile technologies. With that in mind, the company sponsored a second-annual survey that measured the U.S. metro areas, airports and college campuses that made the most use of wirless Web access.

Not surprisingly, the San Francisco Bay area came out on top among metros; I'd be shocked if Silicon Valley's home base didn't. Here's the chart below; since I'm in the Sunshine State, I've bolded the Florida spots:
Not a bad showing for the State overall. I'm a bit disappointed that my Tampa Bay area came in last among major metro zones, behind even Jacksonville; based on raw population and industry alone, it should have run neck-in-neck with South Florida. Room to grow.

Florida doesn't have much of a presence on the other two lists, with just one entry in each: University of Florida at No. 63 among colleges and universities, and Miami International at No. 13 for airports. Again, room to grow.