The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, April 10, 2004

SAY NO TO BURGER KING
Reminder to self: If you're really hungry, and the closest eatery is a Burger King, just keep on going to the next option.

I just got back from lunch there, and it was probably the worst stuff I've eaten in a loooooooooong time. Chicken tenders that tasted like a cross between styrofoam and rubber. Fries that retained probably three times their volume in grease. A clueless staff that entered into an en masse bitching session with the fat store manager right in front of me (the second straight time this has happened in my presence, and I go to this store maybe three times a year). In-store music blasting just a little too loud.

I used to think rival McDonald's was the bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of fast food. I haven't been to a McDonalds in forever, but I can't imagine it's worse than the King. I think BusinessWeek pegged it exactly right when it characterized the company as being in big trouble:
The bottom line? Even as archrivals McDonald's and Wendy's International have turned in sizzling numbers recently, privately held Burger King's U.S. sales dropped 6.6%, to $7.75 billion, in 2003, according to industry researchers Technomic. "This may be Burger King's last stand," says restaurant analyst David S. Palmer at UBS Securities in New York. "The next six months will determine the future of Burger King."