The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, April 10, 2004

KILL BILL: VOLUME 3?
take three?
So according to Quentin Tarantino, as part of the pre-release hype for Kill Bill: Volume 2, there's a Volume 3 in the works, long-term:
"Oh yeah, initially I was thinking this would be my 'Dollars' trilogy. I was going to do a new one every 10 years. But I need at least 15 years before I do this again," the director tells Entertainment Weekly magazine in its April 16 issue.

Tarantino says Uma Thurman, who plays a bride out for revenge in the series that began last year, won't be the star.

"The star will be Vernita Green's (Vivica A. Fox's) daughter, Nikki (Ambrosia Kelley). I've already got the whole mythology: Sofie Fatale (Julie Dreyfus) will get all of Bill's money. She'll raise Nikki, who'll take on The Bride," he says. "Nikki deserves her revenge every bit as much as The Bride deserved hers. I might even shoot a couple of scenes for it now so I can get the actresses while they're this age."
It's odd that he'd say he was "initially" considering this story as a trilogy, because Kill Bill was originally going to be a single, three-hour-long movie, not a two-part first film and sequel. Plus, the promos I've seen for Volume 2 so far have included taglines that describe it as the "final chapter" in the story. So I'm calling bullshit on Mr. Tarantino--he didn't come up with the notion of another edition until later, probably not until fairly recently (especially in light of how well the first two movies look to do).

That said, I think the concept for a third movie, as described above, sounds pretty good. Revenge as an extended story arc is an excellent story driver.

By the way, if anyone knows what the "Dollars trilogy" Tarantino mentions is, feel free to let me know. I assume it's some avant-garde film series, possibly Asian cinema, but I can't find any reference to it online.