The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, April 10, 2004

I'M KRYPTONITE TO LIGHTNING
zapped!
Figures. I go to my first-ever Tampa Bay Lightning playoff game, and they get thumped 3-0 by the damned Islanders.

I should have known, because the last Bolts game I attended was nearly a month ago, when they improbably lost to the lowly Hurricanes, snapping what was an 18-game points streak and starting what became a mini-slump. Hopefully, that won't happen this time.

For the good of the team's Stanley Cup prospects, I think I'll refrain from attending any more games this season. They can't seem to win with me in the building. It's all my fault, I'll take the flack.

Other things I saw at the game:

- Who should have sang the national anthem but Styx, just before their concert in downtown St. Pete. So I got to see them after all. Whoo-hoo!

- A guy in the row in front of mine was wearing a Russian jersey, maybe the National team's (didn't pay close enough attention). The jersey had a name on the back, written in Cyrillic, appropriately enough. The name was "Khabibulin". I complimented him in that, and asked him, jokingly, if his name really was Khabibulin. I got the desired reaction of surprise from him that I had been able to read the name correctly.