The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Saturday, April 17, 2004

I SUCK AT PREDICTIONS
cup crazy
Well, it's official: The Dallas Stars have been bounced out of the first round of the playoffs. Therefore, my name should be getting crossed out shortly over at Off Wing Opinion, as I picked the Stars to win the whole enchilada. Pretty dumb, huh?

What can I say, I had a feeling. Dallas had a certain dark-horse quality to it coming into the postseason, having put together a very impressive second half record in the regular season. I figured they could ride that wave onto an extended playoff showing. What's more, they were matched up against Colorado in the first round, a team that looked kind of sputtering as the season wound down. I never expected the Avalanche to respond like it did. I think loads of credit goes to unheralded Marek Svatos, who came alive bigtime after being injured practically all year.

Oh well, all I lost was my credibility, and not much of that. It's not like I blew some cash on my Off Wing prediction. Maybe the other half of my Stanley Cup matchup prediction (unpublished), the hometown Tampa Bay Lightning, will come to pass. Their 4-1 series win last night over the Isles is a good first step.