The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Friday, April 16, 2004

DIALOGUE ON CALCIUM-ENRICHED OJ
ME: Yeah, I hardly ever touch milk, or most dairy, these days. I think my main source of calcium is that calcium-added orange juice.
FRIEND: Ugh! How can you stand that stuff? It tastes terrible!
ME: What are you talking about?
FRIEND: You don't think it tastes bad?
ME: No, it tastes the same as regular orange juice, I think. I've never noticed a difference.
FRIEND: Well, I do.
ME: If it tasted bad, do you think I'd be drinking it?
FRIEND: Well, I tried it when it first came out, and it just tasted like shit. Never touched it again.
ME: Well, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe they've improved the taste since then; it's been out for at least a couple of years now, hasn't it?
FRIEND: Yeah, maybe.
ME: Maybe they refined the calcium-addition process, so it doesn't result in a bad aftertaste. You should try it now, see if it's improved for you.
FRIEND: That's okay, I'll pass.
ME: I know, I know! The reason why it used to taste like crap?
FRIEND: Yeah?
ME: Maybe they used to just squirt a few shots of milk into the orange juice; that was their idea of "calcium-enriched"! That's why it tasted so bad!
FRIEND: Ha ha ha!
ME: Ha ha ha ha!