The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

ALMA MATER NEWSFLASHES
what the ec
There's some good, and some bad in the recent media mentions for Eckerd College, my alma mater.

The good: The school is recovering well in the post-President Armacost era. Finances are back on track, enrollment is up (along with tuition), and new projects are sprouting up. I may be visiting campus this weekend; if so, I'll get to see some of that myself.

The bad: In a story about colleges nationwide that are investing in retiree housing markets, EC is highlighted in the "don't let this happen to you" section, with the failed College Landings albatross on display. College Landings was undertaken while I was in school, and I remember consensus among students and faculty was that it would go nowhere; we turned out to be right. Besides, I plan on retiring on the Moon.