The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

27 PAGES OF BLOGGITY GOODNESS
Perhaps inspired by my recent ruminations about how print and electronic information may be absorbed differently, I decided to print out this blog's main page today. I was curious to see how much ink and paper these scribblings could fill.

It was 27 pages, from the BlogSpot banner adspace at the very top, to the referral list and BlogSnob ad at the very bottom, with everything in between. Results will vary, naturally, based on browser and printer settings. But for me, it was 27 pages full of text, hypertext, images and general graphics.

It seems like a lot. I certainly don't get a sense of that sort of length when I read through it onscreen. The length will fluctuate from day to day and week to week, depending on how much (or little) I post. I shudder to think of how many pages my Blogathon 2003 entries would occupy...

Is this blog printout exercise worthy of a wider meme experiment by others? Eh, why not. If you're so inclined, go ahead and call up your own blog's current main page, hit the Print button on your browser, and see how many sheets of dead tree it fills up. Then come back here and comment and/or trackback on the results. And spread the word to others.