The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

REALITY CHECK: SUGAR RAY JOINS THE CONTENDER
When the upcoming reality-boxing show The Contender was announced last month, mastermind producer Mark Burnett lamented:

"We're looking to reclaim a part of America that's been missing," ["Survivor" creator Mark] Burnett tells Variety. "Where are the 'Thrilla in Manilas?' The Sugar Ray Leonards?

Sugar Ray listened, and has agreed to join the show as one of its stars, serving as a trainer and business advisor. So it'll be him, a real fighter, and Sylvester Stallone, who played one on the silver screen.

(By the way, the accompanying photo on the Zap2It.com article is obviously not a headshot of Sugar Ray--unless he's changed a lot recently; it's of Burnett. Here's a nice photo of Sugar Ray.)

I just hope Sugar isn't thinking about using this gig as an opportunity to make yet another comeback. Then again, that would certainly spice things up: Sugar looking over the palookas, shaking his head, and declaring, "I can whip all your asses, I'm in it to win it now!" (I know, I know, in my dreams...)