The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Thursday, March 11, 2004

MOBILE PHONE AS THE ONLY PHONE
In-Stat/MDR has a new report out on U.S. mobile phone usage, specifically on how mobiles are displacing landline phones. The meat of the findings:

- 14.4 percent of consumers use their wireless phones as their main (only?) home phone.

- Said consumers tend to be young (ages 18 to 24), single, urbanites, and mobile data (text messaging, Internet) users.

- Nearly a third of mobile phone users will not have a landline by 2008.

Personally, I'd have no problem giving up my landline; I use my mobile phone almost exclusively right now. Had I opted for cable broadband Internet instead of DSL, I'd have definitely dropped the landline phone. As it is, I find having an alternate phone number does come in handy just often enough to warrant keeping it. It's a bare-bones service, though: No long-distance nor any other extras like call waiting and such.

The trend is definitely moving toward the abandonment of landline phones. I have friends who, only a couple of years ago, considered the prospect of going exclusively wireless to be just too far out to consider. Now, with pricing plans fairly reasonable, they're looking seriously at it and even taking the plunge.