The Critical 'I'

Read. React. Repeat.

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

I THOUGHT EVERYONE WAS IRISH TODAY??
Usually, I'm the one who forgets to don some color-appropriate apparel on a holiday that falls on a workday. It'll slip my mind that it's 4th of July, for instance, and I'll wind up being the only schmuck in the office who doesn't wear a red-white-and-blue shirt/pant/tie combo (and in fact, probably will wear something starkly different, like all black--and rouse suspicion that I'm a closet anarchist or something).

This morning, I was proud of the fact that my waking mind actually remembered that today is St. Patrick's Day, and accordingly, I put on a green shirt to signify the holiday. For once, I remembered!

But so far today, it seems the joke is yet again on me. I've been around and about in downtown St. Pete today, walking from my office to the nearby Publix for lunch, getting a good eyeful of all the other downtown work denizens. Guess what? It's been a struggle to find many other people who are wearing a spot of green today. Even olive or khaki green would be acceptable, but no: I'd estimate at least every other person I saw walking around was totally green-less.

What's the deal? Is this a bad year for celebrating St. Patty's? Is it that it fell on a Wednesday, the traditionally blah humpday? Were there not enough Guinness "St. Patrick's Day Christmas" ads running over the past couple of weeks (which my assistant absolutely loves, by the way)?

As you can see, it's kinda bummed me out, not the least because green is also my favorite color. I guess I'll drown my sorrows in alcohol later tonight. Maybe something green, probably not beer.

UPDATE: It looks like my guesstimate of every other person in downtown St. Pete wearing green was fairly accurate, as this informal St. Pete Times poll indicates.